format will change from LaTeX -> (CommonMark|AsciiDoc): which should we chose?

John Sullivan johns at fsf.org
Tue Aug 16 11:43:29 EDT 2016

I'm just surprised -- I wouldn't expect to see much change in
contributions from changing the markup language. Can people say more
about the target contributing audience here? Previous feedback received?

Use of git seems like a much bigger barrier to entry for, for example,
lawyers who don't normally use either markup languages or version
control.

I haven't reviewed the patches, but I wouldn't think very many of them
would have any formatting in them at all. We seem to have some LaTeX
knowledgeable people on the list here willing to help with the ones that
are formatting specific.

So I'll cast one lonely vote for staying with LaTeX, as a person who
will be involved in the inevitable retrofit work to prepare it for
physical printing when we're ready to do that.

As an alternative, I'll propose creating a "formatting team" and
volunteer myself. Formatting team would take patches after substantive
approval by editor in chief, and fix them up as needed.

I recognize I'm the outlier on this so far, and I'm also not
unconvincable, if there's a markup language that is easy for the web but
will also truly work well for printed material (proper justification,
for example).

Or, maybe what I'm asking for here really is a project commitment to
maintain a print-ready branch.

-john

--
GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS