bugs in site css: ugly bars and hidden edit buttons

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Tue Feb 3 17:23:33 EST 2015

I did see this discussion about the formatting that Ciarán raised (thank
you for that!) and that the patch to the wiki that Mike proposed seems
to be a fix for at least some of what Ciarán raised.  I've just posted
another message noting that I have to limit my time for a bit on
copyleft.org (until mid-March), but when I can put time aside, I will
merge in Mike's change.

Mike, you can make this easier for me if you can verify the changes you
made will propagate properly to the Mailman and Guide itself.  I think I
sorted it out so that everything points to the same CSS file, but I had
a lot of trouble implementing the look-and-feel properly.  Can you take
a quick look at that?

Meanwhile, I am admittedly not surprised that Ciarán had a bad UX
experience with copyleft.org.  Frankly, I have absolutely no UX skills.
I read the Guide as LaTeX sources and I prefer it that way and probably
always will.  I fully grok the need for a good UX for the Guide and the
Wiki (although I'm admittedly more concerned about the Guide at this
point), but if this project lives or dies long-term on relying only on
my UX skills, it will surely die.

I've asked both FSF and Conservancy to put UX resources into
copyleft.org, but both are non-profit orgs and neither has the resources
at this time to, say, pay a web UX person to work on copyleft.org.
Given that, we're left looking for volunteers.  We have none [0].

We're using Bootstrap, which I did at Josh Gay's recommendation, in part
because Bootstrap is widely known and we're more likely to get
volunteers if we use a web UX framework that people know.  Still, it
sadly hasn't generated volunteers.  I still think Josh's suggestion and
the decision to use Bootstrap were both correct, though.

OTOH, I've had many people, including one UX expert, tell me how nice
the copyleft.org site looks.  I regularly ask people to look at the site
on their mobile devices, etc. to verify that it at least passes the
"doesn't look horrible on this device" test, and it always does.
Ciarán's is thus the first bug report we've gotten that amounts to
"looks horrible on my device".  I want to get it fixed, but I also am
left wondering how many users have a setup similar to Ciarán's [1].
Should we prioritize this problem right now beyond merging Mike's patch?

[0] That's admittedly a slight exaggeration.  Warp (aka Kuno) has
    volunteered some to help me with some specific UX problems, but,
    other than that plus Mike's recent patch to the CSS, no one has
    stepped up to contribute UX work to copyleft.org.

[1] That said, since Ciarán's issue related to using extra-large forced
    font sizes, I'm admittedly concerned that this problem might be
    urgent for our eyesight-impaired users who may need to force larger
    fonts regularly.
--
   -- bkuhn