bugs in site css: ugly bars and hidden edit buttons

Ciarán O'Riordan ciaran at member.fsf.org
Fri Jan 30 20:00:30 EST 2015

I asked Bradley today why the site claims to be a wiki when there's no way
to edit the pages, log in, ask for an account, etc.  He was surprised and
asked if it was a CSS bug.  I checked, it is.

Here's how my browser displays the site:

http://ciaran.compsoc.com/images/copyleft.org-zoomed-6-times.jpeg

For the good of my eyes, I enlarge the text of most websites on first visit,
and firefox remembers that setting.  I must have hit "enlarge text" six
times on first visit to copyleft.org.  I think my text size is within
reasonable limits, so the website should work for me, but I also found that
the wiki buttons disappear when I reset the text size to normal and
narrowed the window:

http://ciaran.compsoc.com/images/copyleft.org-zoomed-not-at-all-but-smaller-window.jpeg

When I enlarged the text only five times, the buttons were visible:

http://ciaran.compsoc.com/images/copyleft.org-zoomed-5-times.jpeg

And FWIW, here's how the site displays without any zoom:

http://ciaran.compsoc.com/images/copyleft.org-zoomed-not-at-all.jpeg

I see three bugs:

1. Wiki buttons disappear

2. The bars at the top and bottom are way too big (with the text enlarged 5
   times, the two bars take up 252 pixels, leaving just 459 for the content
   of the page)

3. The top and bottom bars appear white on my laptop screen.  I can't
   explain why, but I find white pages disappearing into white bars
   annoying.  When I tilt my laptop screen, I can see they're grey.  I don't
   have this problem on any other site I can think of, so it's probably not
   my laptop's fault.  Could they be made a more distinct colour?

I know I can play with the source and submit a patch, but in case I don't
get around to that, I wanted to at least report the bug.

--
Ciarán O'Riordan
+32 (0) 485 118 029

http://EndSoftwarePatents.org/ - http://en.swpat.org/