CFP: CopyleftConf 2020, deadline 2019-11-17 AoE

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Mon Nov 11 22:50:54 UTC 2019

The CFP for CopyleftConf 2020 is open.  I think it would be great if folks
who have interest in copyleft.org would submit proposals, or if possible
share it with folks you know who might like to submit proposals.  Details
are below:

                  Copyleft Conf 2020 - Call for Proposals

Who: Participants who care about copyleft — from developers, strategists,
enforcement organizations, lawyers, scholars and critics — will gather for
an in-depth, high bandwidth, and expert-level discussion about the
day-to-day details of using copyleft licensing, obstacles facing copyleft
(and all FOSS licensing) and the future of copyleft as a strategy to advance
and defend software freedom for users and developers around the world.

The event will provide a friendly and safe place for discussion of copyleft
as a key strategy for defending software freedom. All are welcomed and no
invitation or membership to any group is required to attend! People of all
genders, people of color, and those from groups that are under-indexed in
free software are heartily encouraged to submit a proposal.

We are looking for 25 minute talks. The time is short to maximize
communication from many parties and inspire later discussion. You can either
choose to speak for 20 minutes and allow 5 minutes of Q&A or speak for 25
minutes with no Q&A.

We are also looking for discussion leaders to introduce a topic and
facilitate a 60 minute discussion. We want people to submit discussions in
groups or pairs. We are especailly intersted in topics lead by people from
different organizations who can bring different perspectives. Discussions
will hopefully result in actionable ideas or practical solutions around
better use and increased adoption of copylefted software. Discussion leaders
will spend 5-10 minutes introducing their topics, either suggest or
encourage participants to suggest a format for discussion and then spend
5-10 minutes recapping the conversation and recording actionable advice to
share after the conversation is over.

We anticipate that this event will focus on software, but we may consider
proposals related to other fields using copyleft.

Here are some example topics, but any topic that relates to copyleft is
welcome:

 * Governance concerns for large copyleft projects

 * Social and/or technical compliance strategies

 * How copyleft fits in with other efforts to build ethical technology

 * Is it possible or desirable to include ethical considerations beyond
   software freedom into FOSS licenses?

 * Copyleft and enforcement in different jurisdictions

 * Affero GPL and other copyleft considerations in the era of network-based
   service software

 * Publicly funded copyleft; i.e. municipal, library, public school or
   government

 * License compatibility, what's new, what's old, and what challenges
   remain?

 * Copyleft abuse, how should the community respond?

 * The (general) future of copyleft

How to submit a proposal

To submit a proposal, create an account, log in, and go to your
dashboard. From there, you can create a speaker profile, and then you'll be
able to submit proposals.

How to get help with your proposal

 * proposalhelp at lists.copyleftconf.org

 * Visit #conservancy on freenode.net

Dates:

November 17th, AoE (Anywhere on Earth) -- CFP closes.
Late November -- we will contact submitters about acceptances and refusals.

--

Bradley M. Kuhn - he/him

Pls. support the charity where I work, Software Freedom Conservancy:
https://sfconservancy.org/supporter/