Outreachy Aspirant!

John Sullivan johns at fsf.org
Thu Oct 25 20:08:14 UTC 2018

Hi Kate,

Kate Longchi <papicaty2 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bradley,
>
> Thank you for getting back to me. I am working on some patches which I will
> be  expecting to make a PR by this weekend. However I am facing some
> difficulties in joining the IRC chat at #copyleft. I the following message
> everytime I try joining:
> [image: irc-eror.png]
> What Must I do to bypass this ?

The message means you need to 1) register your nickname as per the
instructions in the URL they give you there in the error message 2)
identify yourself to the server after you log in by doing "/msg nickserv
identify PASSWORD" without the quotes and replacing PASSWORD with the
one you use to register your nickname. Then you should be able to join
the #copyleft channel (I am "johnsu01" there).

(This is an unfortunate hoop to jump through, but in the end it's a good
idea to have your name registered anyway -- otherwise anyone can connect
and claim to be you.)

-john

--
GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.