format will change from LaTeX -> (CommonMark|AsciiDoc): which should we chose?

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Mon Aug 15 15:04:01 EDT 2016

On 08/15/2016 01:07 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> Having learned my documentation skills in Fedora, I'm biased toward
> DocBook XML. But that's not on the list, so I won't advocate for it
> here.

It's easy enough to generate DocBook XML (or LaTeX) from any of the more
friendly and modern markup languages. So, while I agree DocBook is a
nice central format for conversions, I'd avoid it as the format for
human editing.

On 08/15/2016 12:27 PM, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> I'm thus convinced that it is worth even my time (although help
> would be wonderful, of course) to convert the LaTeX -- by hand --
> into an easier format for future maintainence.

You shouldn't need to do it by hand, something like Pandoc will give you
a reasonable first approximation of a conversion from LaTeX, possibly
requiring some minor manual cleanups. Also, I'm happy to help,
converting all manner of document formats is something I find myself
doing with curious frequency.

Allison