warranty discussion for GPLv2 updated.

Bradley M. Kuhn bkuhn at ebb.org
Mon Mar 16 21:04:39 EDT 2015

Tony Sebro and I have updated the discussion of warranty disclaimers in
the Guide for GPLv2 [0].  I've attached a squashed patch (since
gitorious URLs are likely going to disappear soon, I don't include thenm
(see my previous message :).)

The primary changes are:

 * Drop reference to UCITA.  While I've added a FIXME for that, I am
   not sure the reference to it was all that useful.

 * Reduce discussion of warranty disclaimer in GPLv2§1 discussion
   (forward referring) and fix text there to make it clear that it's
   expectations, rather than beliefs.

 * And the big change: add lots of detail in the warranty section about
   the question of disclaimer warranty and its international
   implications.  I think the discussion now is somewhat unassailable
   [1] but patches remain welcome of course.

[0] You'll note the GPLv3 discussion punts back to GPLv2 saying there
    are no major changes from GPLv2 in those sections, so the GPLv2
    warranty disclaimer discussion ultimately serves for both versions.

[1] I started working on this change because Fontana indicated that a
    purported "expert" in the field was criticizing the Guide for being
    incorrect in private meetings.  It appeared from context that the
    goal was to discredit the Guide rather than help it, since our
    desire for public improvements is most welcome.  I thank Fontana for
    bringing these types of "clandestine criticism" to our attention
    and/or send us patches to fix what you hear being clandestinely
    criticized.  (See:
       http://copyleft.org/irclogs/%23copyleft.2015-03-13.log.html
    for a log of my discussion with Fontana about this.)

    Anyway, Tony and I found nothing incorrect in the previous version,
    but there is always room for improvement on everything, so we
    improved these sections since we were looking at them anyway.