Comparing perspectives: Trainer/Model and Input

Joseph Turner joseph at breatheoutbreathe.in
Wed Jul 6 06:28:37 UTC 2022

Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

>AI training issues are a novel area of legal issues.  It may well be the case
>that the model is indeed a derivative work of its inputs.

I agree with Bradley's point that we should not constrain our ethical considerations to existing copyright law. One question underlying the definition of a derivative work is important: "How do you feel about the possibility that someone else can take the copylefted work that you freely shared with the world and use it to train an AI model which will be used to produce proprietary black boxes?"