Principle behind freedom zero

Ian Kelling iank at fsf.org
Fri Jul 1 03:40:44 UTC 2022

"Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn at sfconservancy.org> writes:

> IOW, maybe “no field of use restriction” was
> simply inherent in the license design because the licenses were contemplated
> first as copyright licenses, so “field of use” including “proprietary
> software development” was more a practicality of license design rather than
> an ethically-founded moral principle.

The 3rd to last paragraph (and somewhat the 2nd to last) in
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/programs-must-not-limit-freedom-to-run.html
talks about freedom zero as a moral principle. I agree with that.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF